[XeTeX] Footnote rule line without any footnote text material

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Tue Jul 17 11:35:46 CEST 2012

Am Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:01:19 -0700 schrieb Andy Black:

> Pete:
>
> The attached has hyperref and fancyhdr removed.  We still get the
> footnotes line on the second page.
>
> I hope you can find something based on this simpler file.

Well as Ross already mentioned: The problem is longtable which
messes around with the output routine. Your sample doesn't look as
if you actually want to use longtable (all of you tabulars are
rather short). Why don't you use tabular instead? And in the case
that you really need a page break in your lists: Your layout could
also be done with a list, with a tabbing or with eqparbox.

> Thank you, too, for your suggestions about using more of the standard
> LaTeX facilities.  Unfortunately, they are too limiting for our
> requirements.

I have some doubts that you know what LaTeX can do. E.g. your claim
that LaTeX provides only "10, 11 or 12" is simply wrong.

Also: If you want to change the main font of a document manually
the correct method is _not_ to define a \Mainfont command and to use
it in various places but to redefine the \normalsize command (found
e.g. in bk10.clo) and the various defaults like \familydefault used
by \normalfont.

Your \Mainfont is not a mainfont but a special font. It will e.g. be
ignored at size changes:

\documentclass{book}

\usepackage{fontspec}

\font\Mainfont="Arial"