[XeTeX] xelatex.fmt doesn't match xetex.pool

Gareth Hughes garzohugo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 12:22:23 CEST 2012

On Mon, 2012-07-09 at 10:06 +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Am 09.07.2012 um 04:04 schrieb Gareth Hughes:
>
> > I thought fmtutil-local.cnf was just for customisation.
>
> Indeed! And one customisation could have been to comment XeTeX related lines copied from somewhere which made tlmgr remove or comment the lines in the generated fmtutil.cnf.
>
> I thought you would check the contents of /usr/local/texlive/2011/texmf-var/web2c/fmtutil.cnf to see whether XeTeX related formats are still mentioned there. One option is to simply run
>
> 	fmtutil-sys --listcfg
>
> No sudo is necessary, it's a read-only process. You can compare the output with that of
>
> 	fmtutil --listcfg

These files look identical to me, and both have xetex and xelatex.

> When they're different, then you have private FMTs and you need to run
>
> 	fmtutil --byengine xetex
>
> or a general
>
> 	fmtutil --refresh

Both of these fail and produce errors.
        This is a summary of all `failed' messages:
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=eplain -progname=eplain
        -translate-file=cp227.tcx *eplain.ini' failed
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=jadetex -progname=jadetex *jadetex.ini'
        failed
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=pdfjadetex -progname=pdfjadetex
        *pdfjadetex.ini' failed
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=latex -progname=latex
        -translate-file=cp227.tcx *latex.ini' failed
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=pdflatex -progname=pdflatex
        -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdflatex.ini' failed
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=mllatex -progname=mllatex
        -translate-file=cp227.tcx -mltex mllatex.ini' failed
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=pdftex -progname=pdftex
        -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdfetex.ini' failed
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=etex -progname=etex
        -translate-file=cp227.tcx *etex.ini' failed
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=pdfetex -progname=pdfetex
        -translate-file=cp227.tcx *pdfetex.ini' failed
        `eptex -ini  -jobname=eptex -progname=eptex *eptex.ini' failed
        `eptex -ini  -jobname=platex -progname=platex *platex.ini'
        failed
        `xetex -ini  -jobname=xetex -progname=xetex -etex xetex.ini'
        failed
        `xetex -ini  -jobname=xelatex -progname=xelatex -etex
        xelatex.ini' failed
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=xmltex -progname=xmltex *xmltex.ini'
        failed
        `pdftex -ini  -jobname=pdfxmltex -progname=pdfxmltex
        *pdfxmltex.ini' failed

However, no log file was written in ~/.texlive2012/texmf-var/web2c .