[XeTeX] Error using ledmac's edtext and polyglossia in hebrew unicode text

gdillon at multnomah.edu gdillon at multnomah.edu
Sun Jan 29 18:59:59 CET 2012

Hi all, I'm getting an error using ledmac and polyglossia with the code
below.  The first time I compile ledmac assigns a zero line number label to
the footnote (which should be 1).  If I compile immediately again I get an
error (see log file below signature).  The contents of the "<<filename>>.1"
file (below) look like it has trouble with right to left text.

------ Tex file ------

\documentclass[12pt, landscape]{article}
\usepackage{xltxtra}
\usepackage{polyglossia}
\usepackage[text={9in,6in},centering]{geometry}
\usepackage{ledmac}
\usepackage{ledpar}

\setdefaultlanguage[ variant=american]{english}
\setotherlanguages{greek,hebrew}
\newfontfamily\greekfont[Script=Greek]{SBL Greek}
\newfontfamily\hebrewfont[Script=Hebrew]{SBL Hebrew}

\begin{document}
\footthreecol{A}
\begin{pairs}
\setlength{\Lcolwidth}{0.445\textwidth}
\setlength{\Rcolwidth}{0.525\textwidth}
\begin{Leftside}
	\firstlinenum{1}
	\linenummargin{left}
	\beginnumbering
		\pstart
			\begin{hebrew}
			\edtext{????}{\Afootnote{definition in footnote A}}
??? ??? ????? ????? ??
			\end{hebrew}
		\pend
	\endnumbering
\end{Leftside}

\begin{Rightside}
	\beginnumbering
		\pstart
Some english text translating the hebrew.
		\pend
	\endnumbering
\end{Rightside}
\Columns
\end{pairs}
\end{document}

----------- Error Information -----------

Package polyglossia Info: Option: english variant=american.
Section 1
("I:\Footnote error.1"
! Extra }, or forgotten \endgroup.
l.2 ]

I've deleted a group-closing symbol because it seems to be
spurious, as in `$x}$'. But perhaps the } is legitimate and
you forgot something else, as in `\hbox{$x}'. In such cases
the way to recover is to insert both the forgotten and the
deleted material, e.g., by typing `I$}'.

)
Runaway argument?
[\@pend [1]
! File ended while scanning use of \@ref.
<inserted text>
                \par
l.21 ^^I\beginnumbering

I suspect you have forgotten a `}', causing me
to read past where you wanted me to stop.
I'll try to recover; but if the error is serious,
you'd better type `E' or `X' now and fix your file.

Requested font "SBL Hebrew/ICU:script=hebr;language=DFLT;" at 12.0pt
 -> C:/Windows/Fonts/SBL_Hbrw.ttf
ledmac reminder:
 The number of footnotes in this section has changed since the last run.
 You will need to run LaTeX two more times before the footnote placement
 and line numbering in this section are correct.
Section 1R
("I:\Footnote error.1R")
Requested font "[lmroman8-regular]:mapping=tex-text" at 8.0pt
 -> C:/Program Files/MiKTeX 2.9/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman8-regular.otf
[1

]
("I:\Footnote error.aux"
) )

------- "<<filename>>.1" file: -------
\@l[1][1]
]
\@ref[1][
\@pend[1]

If I manually modify this file to the following then compile the tex document
it works fine:
\@l[1][1]
\@ref[1][]
\@pend[1]