[XeTeX] fonts: where to find? how to activate bold face?

Pander pander at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 25 12:01:51 CET 2012

On 01/25/2012 11:53 AM, Susan Dittmar wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Quoting Pander (pander at users.sourceforge.net):
>> In TeX you will have to activate the fake behaviour explicitly no matter
>> which operating system you are using. See fontspec manual for how to use
>> fakebold and fakeslant.
>>
>> "David J. Perry" <hospes.primus at verizon.net> wrote:
>>> Does Linux "fake" bold and italic characters, if a font does not come with
>>> true bold and italic versions? Windows does this; if Linux does also, it's
>>> possible that the font you are using comes only in roman, and the bold you
>>> see in LibreOffice is not real. Just a possibility --
>
> Right to the point here! With this list's help I found out that, at least
> on my computer, there's no boldface of this font, and neither did I find
> one in the 'net (did not search thoroughly, though). I tried activating the
> fake bold, but somehow that does not seem to have any effect, at least when
> viewing the result with acrobat reader.

I can give you the commands directly but in order to improve your
capacity to solv your own issue I need to ask:
  - what did you read in the fontspec's manual
  - what did you try exactly (minimal example)
Probably when gathering this information you will see the answer
yourself ;) otherwise I will help you out.