[XeTeX] Warning about no Hindi language in Devanagari script

Steve White stevan.white at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 21 13:31:06 CET 2012

Hi Khaled!

Agreed, this does make the warning go away, but not my complaint.

The warning still doesn't say what it should: the message reads

    Package fontspec Warning:
    Font "Free Serif/ICU/ICU" does not contain language 'Hindi' for
script 'Devanagari'

This font does in fact support the *language", and tables for the
script that effectively support the lanugage.  It just doesn't have
specifically-tagged feature tables for that language.  The message is
being triggered because *features* have been requested, which aren't
present.  (The purpose of the fontspec command also wasn't clear to
me--thanks for explaining!)

If the warning rather said something like

   Font <> has no feature tables for language 'Hindi' for script 'Devanagari'

it would make the source of the complaint (as well as the function of
the fontspec command) cldar.

Cheers!