[XeTeX] XeTeX Digest, Vol 94, Issue 12

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 11:24:31 CET 2012

2012/1/9 Shiva Shankar <shivably04sdst at gmail.com>

> I want to achieve the following
>
> We have a package called kanlel.sty to typeset Kannada in TeX/LaTeX.
> At present we don't have hyphenation patterns for this package.
> For the time being what I want to achieve is, let us minimize the breaks
> at
> inappropriate places so that it eases many of our tasks.  In Kannada

I think that XeTeX will not hyphenate Kannada words because patterns for
the script do not exist. I am not sure about Sanskrit patterns. I am not an
expert but it seems to me that Sanskrit text can also be written in any
Indic script. The Sanskrit hyphenation patterns cover several scripts. I am
not sure whether Kannada is included.

> we get characters(Conjuncts) which have to appear below some other
> character(Consonants) and they cannot
> appear independently. Nearly there are 32 such characters and nine other
> characters which are
> Vowel diacritics and there also if I can prevent the breaking then I guess
> output will be good.
>
> Without having a huge hyphenated list it may be possible just to write the
rule prohibiting hyphenation before and after virama (ie inside the
conjunct) and between a consonant and an independent vowel. It seems to me
that the Sanskrit patterns were  created that way. Considering all the
sandhi rules for gluing the words together there is probably no other way
for Sanskrit.

> I want to try to build a hyphenation patterns for Kannada (kanlel
> package).
> We have a huge corpus of Kannada and I can create hyphenated list of
> unique words out of it.
> And we also have a rule for hyphenation i.e. leftmin should be 2 and
> rightmin should also be 2.
> What is the next step that we have to do?
>
> You have to run patgen. I am not sure whether there is a special
Unicode-aware version. As Petr Sojka found some time ago, it may be useful
to set both lefthyphenmin and righthyphemin to 1 when generating the
patterns and use the correct values when typsetting.

> After generating hyphenation pattern should I compulsorily use babel for
> using these patterns
> or can I use them Independently?
>
> You have to build a new format with the hyphenation pattern. In order to
switch hyphenation paterns in your document it is just necessary to assign
a proper value to \language. However, in LaTeX you would also like to have
localized texts for \chaptername, \contentsname etc. That's why its useful
to use some multilingual package. I would prefer polyglossia to babel.
Polyglossia is now maintained by Arthur Reuthenauer.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/