[XeTeX] Import Sanskrit Text from CSV or Excel to XeLaTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 17:58:46 CET 2012

2012/1/8 A u <akupadhyayula at gmail.com>:
> I am trying to import text from Excel or CSV to Latex.
> It works great when the text is in English. I am using exceltex to do that.
> However when I put "Sanskrit" Text in the spreadsheet and import it to
> excel, it bring only " ???" in place of the sanskrit text.
> Is it possible to do?

Exceltex assumes Latin1 and thus can only work with western languages.
You have to modify the script. Remove my $ENCODING = "latin1"; and
insert use utf8; instead. I am not sure that it is enough, there are
some tricks with encoding of the output files. There is some
information in the manual but I am not a Windows user and do not have
Excel so that I cannot try.

> I would appreciate your help
> regards

Zdeněk Wagner