[XeTeX] Off topic: Devanagari fonts

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 01:52:15 CET 2012

2012/1/3 Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com>:
> On 2 Jan 2012, at 22:56, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> I apologize for an off topic postig but I hope I find here some people
>> who can help me. I am going to typeset a bilingual book of modern
>> poetry in Czech and Hindi. Can you suggest me a beautiful OpenType
>> Devanagari font?
>
> You might like to take a look at SIL's new Annapurna font: http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=AnnapurnaSIL

The font is really beautiful but there is a serious problem. I am now
on an old computer with CentOS 4.7 and TeX Live 2010. If I use
Annapurna SIL in XeTeX, consonant+virama+RA is not handled properly
but eyelash repha is rendered. If I use the font in gedit, the same
group is rendered properly. To be sure I tried it on another computer
with Fedora 13 and TeX Live 2011 with the same result. Is it a problem
of XeTeX or should I report it as a font bug?

I found another problem. If I view the PDF in AR9 on the notebook with
Fedora 13, the position of the horizontal bar in the independent vowel
A (both short and log) is lower than in other characters. If I view
the very same PDF in AR7 on the desktop computer with CentOS 4.7,
everything looks OK. If I view that PDF remotely on another computer
with CentOS 5.3 and AR9 but sending the display to the computer with
CentOS 4.7, I see the same problem. Can it be a problem of hinting or
is it a rendering bug in AR9 for Linux?

> JK

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/