[XeTeX] How do mapping files affect hyphenation?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 15:42:21 CET 2012

2012/2/24 Arthur Reutenauer <arthur.reutenauer at normalesup.org>:
>> It should be so.
>
>  I agree with that, that’s the most sensible behaviour.  What Ulrike
> needs are hyphenation patterns suited to the particular transliteration
> scheme she’s using.  Depending on the transliteration, the patterns for
> other Slavonic languages could be useful; for ISO 9, I expect that Czech
> or Slovak patterns would actually give a good result.  But if it’s a
> scheme that uses things like “sh” and “zh” for ‘ш’ and ‘ж’, there really
> needs to be special rules for these clusters (I expect that Czech
> patterns would break between ‘z’ and ‘h’ in most cases!).

Yes, Czech and Slovak rules allow hyphenation between consonants with
an exception of ch which is considered a single character. Moreover,
Russian adjectives often end with -ический / -ическая / -ическое but
the Czech equivalent is -ický / -ická / -ické. In Russian к is olways
followed by и (not ы) but in Czech and Slovak k is always followed by
y (some words of foreign origin are exceptions). In Czech and Slovak
long vowels are marked (similarly as in Indian languages, in Arabic,
Urdu, Farsi) but not in Russian. I am afraid that there are too many
differences that t will not work.

>        Arthur

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/