[XeTeX] Reducing ligatures in arabxetex

Juan Acevedo juan.acevedo at gmx.net
Sat Feb 18 19:12:52 CET 2012

Thanks for all the input, everybody.

Now turning back to arabxetex, I would like to use this specific beautiful Arabic font, Amiri (v.0.101, downloadable here http://www.amirifont.org/, with thanks to Khaled).

Trying to overrule with fontspec the default ligatures of the font, I look up its OpenType features, and otfinfo gives me only one line:
mark	Mark Positioning

But when I check the Fonts>Typography options in OSX TextEdit, there are two!
Alternative Stylistic Sets
Character Alternates

If I untick Contextual Alternates within Character Alternates, then presto, I obtain the desired effect: to use only mandatory ligatures. To give a visual reference, I am attaching a screen picture where the first line has full ligatures (=Contextual Alternates), and the second only mandatory ligatures.

Now, I find strange that otfinfo is not showing these other features, but I find unbelievable that fonstspec cannot fiddle with these additional features, so I'm sure one of you will know how to go about it.

With hope in your replies!
And thanks,
Juan