[XeTeX] Reducing ligatures in arabxetex

maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Feb 15 18:29:13 CET 2012

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:17:07 +0100, Zdenek Wagner
<zdenek.wagner at gmail.com>
wrote:
> 2012/2/15 Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at googlemail.com>:
>> I'd recommend choosing a font that was explicitly designed for Persian,
>> which may have slightly different stylistic preferences than typical
>> Arabic usage.
>>
>> JK
>>
> It is also important to note that Persian makes use a a few characters
> that are not used in Arabic. Strictly Arabic font may not contain all
> needed characters.

The SIL Scheherazade font covers all the characters in the Unicode Arabic
script block (not the presentation forms).  Afaik, that includes all
Persian (Pashto, Urdu, Punjabi...) characters, in the Naskh style.  There
are a few Arabic script chars used in African languages that it does not
yet cover.  I think there's a Linux program that tells what languages a
font can be set for, but I can never remember what it's called (fc-list
doesn't seem to provide that info).

   Mike Maxwell