[XeTeX] Using different fonts for devanagari and latin characters

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 14:08:49 CET 2012

2012/2/12 Philip TAYLOR <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>> Another possibility is to use ucharclasses. This package is non-free,
>> you can freely download it from CTAN and use it but you are not
>> allowed to distribute it.
>

> THat is not how I read it, Zdeněk.  Mike says :
>
>>  This package was written by Mike "Pomax" Kamermans, from
>>  nihongoresources and is Â(c) 2010, Michiel Kamermans. You
>>  may freely use this package, but you are discouraged from
>>  modifying this package and then redistributing it. Instead,
>>  please contact me (ideally on the XeTeX mailing list) and
>>  we can discuss the changes you wish to make. If they
>>  benefit everyone, they will be worked in as a new version.
>

> so redistribution seems fine.  Only /modification/ followed
> by re-distribution is discouraged, and even then only "discouraged",
> not "forbidden".  Mike' position seems quite logical and
> reasonable to me.

The author has right to decide how his package can be used. If people
are discouraged to distribute it, TL maintainers feel discouraged and
do not distribute it. I am also discouraged, thus I only point to
CTAN. I have tried this package with a few scripts and have not found
any problem so far.

--
Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/