[XeTeX] New font from Brill

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 13:16:25 CET 2012

2012/2/3 Gareth Hughes <garzohugo at gmail.com>:
> On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 12:14 +0100, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>> 2012/2/3 Gareth Hughes <garzohugo at gmail.com>:
>> > ... and is distributed gratis.
>> > http://www.brill.nl/news/brill-typeface
>> >
>> Unfortunatelly it is not free, it cannot be redistributed and can only
>> be used for noncommercial works, thus I cannot use it to typeset a
>> book.
>
> That's why I used the word 'gratis' rather than 'free', implying free of
> cost but under a restrictive licence. I still think the font is
> interesting and useful: I produce a lot of noncommercial typesetting.

This restriction is a problem for me. I typeset both commercial and
noncommercial documents. I cannot say how often I will use a
particular font, thus I look at the price and if it is reasonable for
me, I buy it (and I have not used so far a lot of commercial fonts I
bouhgt 6 years ago). I do not want to audit my documents to see
whether the commercial ones contain only the licensed sources. I have
therefore only two types of fonts:

1. Free fonts that can be used without restriction

2. Commercial fonts that I bought

I often use commercial fonts even in noncommercial documents (but in
such a case I am not allowed to give the TeX sources).

> Gareth.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz