[XeTeX] Access of vertical CJK fonts preceeding with @

Adam Twardoch (List) list.adam at twardoch.com
Fri Dec 7 00:48:48 CET 2012

I think proper vertical writing mode would be best, without resorting to multiple rotations :)

Yes, the "vert" is used for punctuation but also for Latin glyphs, which are often proportional in "height" (ie. avtually "rotated width"). "vert" is typically used in combination with "vkrn", which then does vertical kerning. So if toy have the text "Typeface" set in a CJK font vertically, the "vert" feature would map the glyphs T, y, p, o, g etc. to their counterparts which are rotated by 90 deg to the right, and then the "vkrn" feature would move the rotated "y" up if following a rotated "T" -- by the same amount as the normal "Ty" kerning pair.

Of course not all CJK fonts include rotated Latin glyphs, let alone proportional, and let alone with vertical kerning. But some do (especially Adobe's Japanese fonts).

There is another set of features (fwid, pwid, hwid -- AFAIR) which switch Latin glyphs and punctuation between full-width (monospaced), proportional (normal from the European perspective) and half-width (narrow monospaced) variants. Using them is up to the user's preference and discretion. Some but not all fonts provide rotated forms for all these variants as well.

But all this stuff is made to work with the "true" vertical typesetting direction in mind, and has to do with things that happen within the line.

Stuff that happens on the higher level, i.e. by which means you actually get entire lines to be laid out in the vertical direction, is a wholly another level.

As I mentioned, the "@" hack is just a Windows API trick -- these special fonts don't really exist, they're being synthetically generated by the Windows API and are exposed to apps that use the Windows API to do text layout and rendering.

But XeTeX accesses font files more directly, and directly parses OpenType Layout tables, so the "@" trick shouldn't work since these are not "real" fonts.

And, as I said at the beginning, I think proper vertical writing mode in XeTeX would be the *real* solution, without resorting to OS API tricks.

However, I'm not at all a TeX expert so I don't know which options are available.

Best,
Adam

Sent from my mobile phone.