[XeTeX] troubles with \setcounter in Tex 2012

Andrey Klebanov andra.kleb at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 2 19:31:09 CET 2012

Dear all,

since my very recent update to the new tex distribution (tex 2012) I'm facing a problem with setting values of counter using mathematic formulas as 2-1.
a minimal example looks like this:

\documentclass{memoir}
\begin{document}
\newcounter{b}
\setcounter{b}{2-1}
\theb
\end{document}

which in my case sets the \value{b} to 2 and prints -1 (s. the attached file), instead of setting the \value{b} to 1. (I need it in order to set a connection between 2 counters like \setcounter{b}{\thea-2} etc.)
I would be extremely thankful for any support, since this issue completely destroys my workflow.

thanks in advance
Andrey
\end{document}