[XeTeX] XeTeX & sanskrit: which font

Jonathan Kew jfkthame at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 15 12:09:11 CEST 2012

On 15/8/12 10:48, Philip TAYLOR wrote:

> Zdenek Wagner wrote:
>
>>  You can see demonstration on my page:
>>
>> http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/freefont-devanagari/
>
> What /should/ be seen here, Zdeněk ?  As a non-Indologist, I may
> be missing something obvious (indeed, I probably am !), but I cannot
> see the difference in the two samples on my screen :
>
>> compare Sanskrit: शक्ति to Hindi: शक्ति (if everything works, you should
>> see the difference).
>
> Philip Taylor

The CSS for that page is broken, and hence the fonts that are supposed
to be used do not actually load, at least in Firefox. (It doesn't look
like Chrome loads them either, though I only tested very briefly.)

Specifically, the CSS includes rules such as

@font-face {
   font-family: FreeSerif;
   src: url('FreeSerif.eot');
   src: url('FreeSerif.woff') format ('woff'),
   url('FreeSerif.ttf') format ('truetype');
   font-weight: normal;
   font-style: normal;
}

Note the space between "format" and "(". This is invalid; the spec at
http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css3-fonts/#descdef-src does not allow for
whitespace here, and therefore this src descriptor is discarded, leaving
only the .eot one - which is not a supported format.

(The Web Console available via the Firefox "Tools / Web Developer"
submenu helpfully reports these CSS errors.)