[XeTeX] XeTeX & sanskrit: which font

hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de hanneder at staff.uni-marburg.de
Wed Aug 15 11:10:32 CEST 2012

Sorry for extending this discussion a bit, and perhaps beyond the main
focus of the list. But I wanted to summarize my recent struggles with
the font question when producing a book in Devanagari and XeTeX. In
short, I checked all fonts available including a large number of free
Devanagari fonts (distributed during the World Sanskrit Conference)
and found them inadequate in one or the other respect. Usually there
are problems you notice only when typesetting and proofreading a whole
book, for instance, certain combinations of consonants simply do not
work, or produce wrong results. In the old days one would tweak the
font, but with otf I have no clue how to start.

So I was was back to where I started: The fonts Sanskrit 2003 and
Nakula. Now Sanskrit 2003 does not work nicely, especially if you have
Roman text also, since it is a bold font for "heavy" verse editions,
not for reading longer prose. So it was Nakula! There, unfortunately
some ligatures are in areas of the unicode range where XeTeX cannot
find them (right at the end), so that altough they are there, they
cannot be used. I am currently trying to find someone who can improve
the font. Any help is most welcome.

Jürgen

---

Prof. Dr. Juergen Hanneder