[XeTeX] XeTeX & sanskrit : how to sart

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 01:17:06 CEST 2012

2012/8/15 Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com>:

> On Aug 14, 2012, at 5:42 PM, Gildas Hamel <gweltaz at ucsc.edu> wrote:
>
>> * Skriv a reas Helios (helios at frmail.net):
>>  |>
>>  |>  Thanks Gildas.
>>  |>
>>  |>  Your script give don't give me the good result.
>>  |>
>>  |>  I have change only this line
>>  |>  % \newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari]{Sanskrit2003} %
>>  |>  ou autre police
>>  |>  \newfontfamily\sanskritfont[Script=Devanagari]{SaSETU} % ou autre police
>>  |>  and each character is replaced by a square.
>>  |>

>> I don't know the SaSETU font or Sanskrit for that matter. Using Arial Unicode MS instead of Sanskrit2003, I get what looks like a good result.
>> --Gildas

As the error message says, SaSETU does not contain Devanagari.
Remember, there are plenty of Devanagari fonts with custom encodings
that were intended to be used in special applications in the
pre-Unicode era. Such fonts will not work in XeTeX. (It is always
useful to read the error messages, they almost always contain
important infgormation.)

If you do not have good Sanskrit fonts, take them either from John Smith's page:
http://bombay.indology.info/software/fonts/devanagari/

or you can use GNU FreeSerif (but you need a new version, eg the one
distributed with TeX Live 2012)

> Howdy,
>
> I don't see SaSETU on my Mac but I do have Sathu which is a ttf font.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Zdeněk Wagner