[XeTeX] Nastaliq [was: The future of XeTeX]

Mike Maxwell maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Aug 2 04:28:57 CEST 2012

On 8/1/2012 6:48 PM, Khaled Hosny wrote:
> I remember specifically testing some Nastaliq fonts and Hans fixing some
> small issues I found, I just tested again now and IranNastaliq seems to
> work (my fork of Nafees Nastaleeq is broken though, but it uses an
> OpenType GDEF feature not supported by LuaTeX's font loader, so this is
> expected and not even Arabic specific).

I'm interested in this.  We have used Nafees Nastaleeq v1.2 (IIRC), and plan to use it for Punjabi
written in Shahmukhi.  While this font works reasonably well in XeTeX, there were a couple things we
were bothered by.  But it's been awhile since we last used it, and we're not experts in this style
of Arabic script, so I can't remember the problems, nor would I be confident enough to say much
about them anyway.

Have you written up your work on Nastaliq?
--
	Mike Maxwell
	maxwell at umiacs.umd.edu
	"My definition of an interesting universe is
	one that has the capacity to study itself."
         --Stephen Eastmond