[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 17:26:23 CEST 2012

2012/8/1 Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de>:
> Am Wed, 1 Aug 2012 16:59:55 +0200 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:
>
>>> I didn't say that "a change is needed", only that the complexity of
>>> some scripts are part of the problem: complex scripts means complex
>>> code and people who write, test, maintain, extend this code. And
>>> such people are not always available like now in the case of luatex.
>
>> That's exactly what I wrote (in slightly different words) at the very
>> beginning of the discussion.
>
> Perhaps (the discussion is rather long). But you obviously don't
> accept my conclusion that one possible solution is to reduce the
> complexity of the script. You are only looking for the people who
> should write all this complex code.

OK. Look at my example from the previous post, compare the xetex
(correct) and luatex (incorrect) output and suggest a simplification
of the script so that it does not depart too much from current
practice. Than persuade Microsoft to rewrite the Indic OpenType
specification and Uniscribe and persuade all font vendors to redesign
all Indic font according to the new specification. Do you think it is
achievable?

(I can type the same text in MS Word, in OpenOffice, put it on the
web, process it by good FO processor, the output will be correct, only
luatex cannot do it.)

> --
> Ulrike Fischer
> http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/