[XeTeX] The future of XeTeX

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Wed Aug 1 16:55:51 CEST 2012

Am Wed, 1 Aug 2012 15:54:37 +0200 schrieb Zdenek Wagner:

> LuaTeX can be considered a flavour of TeX thus if XeTeX can load a
> font and use the glyphs as they are now and compose them to form a
> word, I do not understand why a change in the script is needed. LuaTeX
> is not able to form a word from Devanagari glyphs. MS Office,
> OpenOffice, modern web browser can do it, so why should we discard the
> very basics of Indic orthography a create the new one just because
> nobody has implemented the Indic scripts in lua so far? And discard
> all Indic fonts and create new ones that will suit the new
> orthography?

I didn't say that "a change is needed", only that the complexity of
some scripts are part of the problem: complex scripts means complex
code and people who write, test, maintain, extend this code. And
such people are not always available like now in the case of luatex.

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/