[XeTeX] resolution (was Re: The future of XeTeX)

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 13:41:17 CEST 2012

2012/8/1 William Adams <will.adams at frycomm.com>:
> On Jul 31, 2012, at 6:02 PM, Keith J. Schultz wrote:
>
>> You are only partially correct. Yes, you can create very fine structures
>> off the glyphs. Yet, is only a part of the picture.
>>
>> You forget interword spacing and kerning. Gutenberg, could never match
>> the resolution of microtype.
>
> I give up.
>
> If one moves an element less than an imagesetter pixel dimension, how do I see that output in a useful fashion?

As a matter of fact, Gutenberg was able to do it better than
microtype. His glyphs were adapted, he had several versions of "m"
differing in width, kerning was also possible (look into old
textbooks, you will find how it was done). the main poit is thatthe
glyphs were designed to allow it, nowadays microtypography achieves a
similar rsult by distorting the characters. IMHO in the microtype
package the features are not used but abused and the result is often
uglier than the text typeset without it.

> William
>
> --
> William Adams
> senior graphic designer