[XeTeX] Testing custom hyphenation patterns

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 12:43:22 CEST 2012

Hello,

I don't have much time to clean up the code now, but I'm attaching old
examples that I used for playing & testing hyphenation patterns for
Lao (the code was mostly written by Hans Hagen). Some code is also
devoted to coloring of letters since I don't read Lao and it was
easier for me to recognise glyphs based on their color.

Patrick Gundlach also submitted a module doing the same to CTAN (I
guess it should be part of TeX Live).

Personally I would test patterns with either LuaTeX or web browser
(using Hyphenator.js). I have examples of Hyphenator.js in action and
generating some nice output as well. If you prefer testing in web
browser, just let me know. If course you can always use \showhyphens,
but I find that approach less practical. (I have also written a simple
C program that converts plain text into hyphenated text using given
patterns, independent of TeX.)

Mojca