[XeTeX] arabic

Andy Lin kiryen at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 18:22:28 CEST 2012

I've made teckit mappings for Persian that output different levels of
vocalization (none, some, full) and romanization (1 to 1, common), all
from the same source. You don't get that kind of flexibility if you
type directly in Arabic script unless you vocalize everything to begin
with. Granted, not everyone needs this kind of functionality (I was
making vocabulary sheets for class), but one of the strengths of LaTeX
is that you have the option of doing things in different ways, no?

But to address the original posts:
There's actually a typo in the second example, which is why it doesn't
run. There's no problem with arabxetex.
\begin{tabular}[l] % should read \begin{tabular}{l}
\textarab[voc]{`arabI}
\end{tabular}

Also, I have bidi version 1.2.6, and the original example actually
works fine and in fact bidi refers to xltxtra specifically and asks
that it (xltxtra) be loaded first.

Hope this helps,
Andy