[XeTeX] Odd hyphenations

Paul Isambert zappathustra at free.fr
Fri Sep 30 16:51:09 CEST 2011

Le 30/09/2011 16:26, NEAL DELMONICO a écrit :
> Greetings All,
>
> I am having some problems with hyphenation in English and wonder if I
> am missing something important in my header file.  The hyphenation
> program seems to be misfiring since it gives the following
> hyphenations: n-ear, s-mall, b-lissful, s-miling, y-our, and many more
> like this.  I have been going though and adding those words to my
> \hyphenation{} command and that usually fixes them.  But, as I go
> through the book, I find that I find a bad hyphenation every few
> pages.  There are a lot of Indic words in the text and hyphenation
> will often mess them up.  That is understandable, but the wrong
> hyphenation of these English words is puzzling.  Any suggestions?

Before \begin{document}, \lefhyphenmin (the minimal number of characters
before a break, 2 by default for English) is 2, and 1 after
\begin{document}, unless you comment the line
"\setotherlanguage{sanskrit}". So something is wrong with polyglossia,
from which I suppose the command comes from.

Best,
Paul