[XeTeX] default fonts for text and math in xelatex (ubuntu, texlive 2011)

peter knezel peter.knezel at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 20:07:17 CEST 2011

Hmm, I have tried a short xe.tex file

===

\documentclass{article}

\usepackage[math]{mathspec}

\newfontfamily\mymono{DejaVu Sans Mono}

\newfontfamily\mymathmono{DejaVu Sans Mono}

\begin{document}

{\mymono this is with mono} changed {\mymathmono $E=mc^2$} back as normal

\end{document}
===

for which xe.pdf is created

Using:
pdffonts -f 1 xe.pdf
name                                 type              emb sub uni object ID
------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
MQBWCL+DejaVuSansMono                CID TrueType      yes yes yes      5  0
AEDUWP+LMRoman10-Regular-Identity-H  CID Type 0C       yes yes yes      7  0
FETFUV+CMMI10                        Type 1C           yes yes no       8  0
ZYNKTW+CMR10                         Type 1C           yes yes no       9  0
LKHLTI+CMR7                          Type 1C           yes yes no      10  0

which really shows what fonts are used. As far as I understood well, words
"changed", "back as normal" are set with  LMRoman10-Regular-Identity-H
(Latin Modern as you wrote). \mymono changed "this is with mono" to DejaVu
Sans Mono.
But what font is used for "$E=mc^2$"? Is it CMMI10,CMR10 and CMR7? Where can
I get more info about these fonts?
Why isn't the the equation written in DejaVu Sans Mono as defined with
\mymathmono?

Kind regards,

Peter