[XeTeX] Strange behaviour xelatex/fontspec/Windows

Akira Kakuto kakuto at fuk.kindai.ac.jp
Mon Sep 26 10:53:38 CEST 2011

> It seems that the "fontconfig" package is running on Windows.
> I have seen that the binaries (fc-list, fc-cache etc)
> of fontconfig package are present.

(1)
Please confirm that the fc-cache.exe is the one provided by
TeX Live, that is, it is in the TeX Live binary directory .../bin/win32.
The other fc-cache.exe cannot be used for XeTeX in TL W32.

(2)
Go to the directory shown by the command
kpsewhich -var-value FONTCONFIG_PATH

(3)
Make a file with the name "local.conf" in the directory, for example:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- local.conf file to configure local font access -->
<fontconfig>
<!--
Additional dirs for fontconfig. Subdirs are searched automatically.
-->

<dir>g:/somedir/opentype</dir>
<dir>g:/somedir/truetype</dir>

</fontconfig>