[XeTeX] Hyphenation in Transliterated Sanskrit

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 13:28:33 CEST 2011

2011/9/12 Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk>:

> Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>> On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 12:09, Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd)
>> <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
>>> I wish I understood more about the "duplicate apostophe" problem, in order
>>> to be able to offer a more directly relevant (and constructive) comment :
>>> Google throws up nothing relevant.
>> Users type ' (U+0027) and expect the proper apostrophe (U+2019) to
>> show up in final PDF. Knuth just replaced the character (you cannot
>> get U+0027 in pdfTeX, except in typewriter font). In XeTeX
>> mapping=tex-text does that, but not all users use that one, so we need
>> to support both variants.
>
> OK, (sort of) understood.  But does a Unicode-aware user /really/ type  (U+0027)
> [APOSTROPHE] if if he/she wants (U+0219) [ RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK]
> other than through habit/laziness ?  I can quite see an ASCII-based TeX user doing
> just that, but those that are capable of entering real Unicode must surely be aware
> of the multiplicity of apostrophe-like characters [1] available to them, and be capable
> of choosing the correct one, must they not ?

This is the problem of keyboard. If I type the text, I want to type
it, not click in a symbol map. thus I use characters available on my
keyboard and those that can be easily entered by macros in TeX. I have
recently modified my private xkb drivers for Czech and Devanagari by
adding Czech and English quotes, endash and emdash. I need them not
only in TeX but also in XML and HTML.

> ** Phil.
> --------
> [1] Including, but not restricted to, APOSTROPHE, RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK,
> LEFT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK, PRIME, MODIFIER LETTER PRIME,
> SINGLE HIGH-REVERSED-9 QUOTATION MARK, ...

Zdeněk Wagner
http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz