[XeTeX] Hyphenation in Transliterated Sanskrit

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Mon Sep 12 12:09:41 CEST 2011

Jonathan Kew wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2011, at 08:59, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
>> Arthur had some plans to cover normalization in hyph-utf8, but I
>> already hate the idea of duplicated apostrophe,
>
> That's a bit different, and hard to see how we could avoid it except via special-case code somewhere that "knows" to treat U+0027 and U+2019 as equivalent for certain purposes, even though they are NOT canonically equivalent characters and would not be touched by normalization.
>
> IMO, the "duplicated apostrophe" case is something we have to live with because there are, in effect, two different orthographic conventions in use, and we want both to be supported. They're alternate spellings of the word, and so require separate patterns - just like we'd require for "colour" and "color", if we were trying to support both British and American conventions in a single set of patterns.

It may be that you are intentionally putting up a straw-man argument here,
but if you are not, may I comment that "trying to support both British and
American conventions in a single set of patterns" would (IMHO) be
impossible, since British English hyphenation is based primarily on
etymology whilst American is based on syllable boundaries.  I wish
I understood more about the "duplicate apostophe" problem, in order
to be able to offer a more directly relevant (and constructive) comment :
Google throws up nothing relevant.

Philip Taylor