[XeTeX] Hyperref \hyperlink and \hypertarget not working with accented characters

Andy Black andy_black at sil.org
Fri Sep 2 21:02:06 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm using XeTeX version 3.1415926-2.2-0.9997.4 (Web2C 2010)
(format=xelatex 2010.11.15) with hyperref  2010/10/30 v6.81t.

I invoke the \hyperref package like this:

     \usepackage{hyperref}
     \hypersetup{colorlinks=true, citecolor=black, filecolor=black,
linkcolor=black, urlcolor=blue, bookmarksopen=true}

If I use something like

     \hyperlink{rAsociación}{APLT (1988)}

with

     \hypertarget{rAsociación}{Asociación para la Promoción de
Lecto-Escritura Tlapaneca.  1988.  }

then the hyperlink in the resulting PDF does not go to the target.  If I
replace the accented o with an unaccented o, then the hyperlink works fine.

Do I need to do something special to get the hyperref package to produce
hyperlinks that work when there are non-A-Z characters?

Thanks,

--Andy