[XeTeX] fontspec's \setmathrm seems to have no effect

mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca
Thu Sep 1 16:57:58 CEST 2011

On Thu, 1 Sep 2011, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> > So instead of the \setmathrm giving me the font I requested, I seem to
> > be getting a computer modern font. Why would this be???
>
> Because you don't set your maths in \mathrm! The default for maths is a sans-serif font, because the text usually consists of a serif font.

It depends which symbols you're talking about, but variables in math (at
least in English-language documents) are normally set in italic by
default.  Roman is typically used for function names like "sin" and "log".
Sans-serif is rarely used in math; when it is, it's often for special
kinds of variables, such as vectors (though other conventions are more
popular for indicating vectors).
--
Matthew Skala
mskala at ansuz.sooke.bc.ca                 People before principles.