[XeTeX] [tex-live] Future state of XeTeX in TeXLive

BPJ bpj at melroch.se
Sun Oct 30 16:53:40 CET 2011

On 2011-10-28 21:02, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

>>> Large database publications. Variable data printing.
>>
>> Also, anything where documents end up checked into the source control
>> and configuration management systems used for software development.  It's
>> really nice to be able to compile my TeX documents along with my code.  I
>> can't do that with GUI tools.
>
> Documents being written by several people in cooperation in real time
> (usually living in a versioning system)
>
> Documents that have to be rendered from sources on several different platforms
>
> Documents that have to be rendered from sources years later
>
> Documents containing math
>
> Documents created on-the-fly by a web service

Documents produced by people with motor or vision disabilities
which make it hard for them to use a WYSIWYG/GUI tool.

(I have both a motor disability and some vision difficulties,
but that shouldn't be a requirement for caring about the issue.)

BTW: is there a symmary of Xe(La)TeX/LuaTeX differences somewhere?
I can't say that I'm wild about the prospect of having to learn
another programming language on top of LaTeX to get things
working. This said I use perlTeX quite a bit, so I might have a
gain in learning Lua(TeX) all the same.

/bpj