[XeTeX] [tex-live] Ftuture state of XeTeX in TeXLive

Vafa Khalighi vafaklg at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 06:25:21 CET 2011

XeTeX font support is heaps better and  stable than what luaotfload
package  offers and I guess that is why many users still like using xetex
instead luatex. I personally believe that it is a bad practice that
luaotfload just copies ConTeXt code, it should not be deeply dependent on
ConTeXt because Hans may want to try experimenting with some features today
and next day he gets rid of them just like the recent updates of luaotfload
that Khaled talked about it. I think, this is awful! What should users who
used those features (and need it heavily in their daily typesetting tasks,
do?). They wake up one day and suddenly see that yes, luaotfload does not
provide the features they need. luaotfload needs to be written from scratch
independent of any ConTeXt code.