[XeTeX] [tex-live] Ftuture state of XeTeX in TeXLive

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sat Oct 29 00:55:32 CEST 2011

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

>>> If I understand Mojca correctly, she compared XeTeX to Omega.
>>
>> If that were the case, Zdenek, would Mojca not have written
>> "XeTeX is exactly the contrary. It simplifies everything
>> in comparison to Omega.", rather than "XeTeX is exactly
>> the contrary. It simplifies everything in comparison to pdfTeX."
>> which is what she actually wrote ?
>>
> Well, I I want to typeset a text in Hindi using XeLaTeX, I just type a
> text in UTF-8, switch the font (using the fontspec package) by
> \fontspec[Script=Devanagari]{fontname} and it works. If I do the same
> in lualatex, it does not work, I would have to plug somewhere a lot of
> lua code in order to specify how to handle the Devanagari script. The
> fontspec package just handles loading the font, not correct rendering
> of the text.

I think I'm losing the plot, Zdenek !  At first you said

 > If I understand Mojca correctly, she compared XeTeX to Omega.

but now you are comparing Xe[La]TeX to lua[La]TeX, so I'm
a little confused as to how you are interpreting Mojcs's
words.

** Phil.