[XeTeX] TECkit map for Latin alphabet to Unicode IPA

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Thu Oct 27 15:30:34 CEST 2011

Am Thu, 27 Oct 2011 16:06:52 +0800 schrieb Daniel Greenhoe:

> If I can do this conversion from the command line, why can't fontspec
> handle it correctly? That is, before fontspec tries to interpret a
> sequence beginning with "\" as a command, why can't it first check to
> see if the sequence is up for replacement by a font mapping?

Because (Xe)tex has to execute commands first. Things like
\section{A}, \usepackage{fontspec}, \texbf{abc}, \title{My title},
\;  has to be handled come long before the TeX-engine can even start
to think about the actual font.

But you can use another char than "\" as "start a command char",
e.g. $ (which naturally than will not longer work for math):

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
\begingroup