[XeTeX] TECkit map for Latin alphabet to Unicode IPA

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Oct 27 11:16:52 CEST 2011

Am 27.10.2011 um 10:06 schrieb Daniel Greenhoe:

> If I can do this conversion from the command line, why can't fontspec
> handle it correctly? That is, before fontspec tries to interpret a
> sequence beginning with "\" as a command, why can't it first check to
> see if the sequence is up for replacement by a font mapping?

Because it's too late then. XeTeX is an extension to TeX that it can handle 32-bit wide characters and it's additional software put on top of TeX to alter its output and text setting algorithms to use knowledge built into the OT fonts. Between reading in a text file and spitting out some other file the read in text is searched for maths like things. Fontspec and text mapping are used when it's time to output something.

It might work to undefine maths related things, it might work to create an IPA environment in which no maths is executed, it might work to create a XipaTeX format without maths...

--
Greetings

  Pete

Atheism is a non prophet organization.