[XeTeX] How to Convert Devanagari (sanskrit) text to Telugu Text (A u)

Shrisha Rao shrao at nyx.net
Thu Oct 27 08:22:28 CEST 2011

El oct 27, 2011, a las 3:32 a.m., Kattamuri Ekanadham escribió:

> Last year, we prepared itrans-tel.map and  itrans-tel.tec files and Shrisha Rao has uploaded them to the CTAN library and should be available there.  (see note below). I use XeLatex regularly to compose Telugu and Sanskrit. If you have further difficulty, I can also send those files and show you how to use them.

This is the xetex-itrans package (http://www.ctan.org/pkg/xetex-itrans), which should be there with any recent TeX Live or MikTeX installation.

However, it is to be noted that this does not work with material that is already in UTF-8 in specific Indian languages like Telugu; it only helps XeLaTeX/fontspec produce an appropriate output in a chosen script (Devanagari, Kannada, Roman, Tamil, Telugu) given an ASCII input in ITRANS.  Being able to use UTF-8 codings in such scripts to produce outputs in other scripts would require n × n mappings, as against 1 × n if the input is only in ITRANS.

Regards,

Shrisha Rao