[XeTeX] How to Convert Devanagari (sanskrit) text to Telugu Text

Neal Delmonico ndelmonico at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 26 17:47:26 CEST 2011

Greetings All,

Here is a map and tec file that I made up in relatively short time
converting Roman unicode transliteration into Bengali.  I basically used
the RomDev map as the basis of my changes.   I thought I would experiment
with this based on Zdenek's recommendation for creating such a map.  After
a few adjustments, it seems to work pretty well.  Bengali uses the same
character for ba and va.  So I had to adjust the map for that.  There are
several remaining problems.  Several of the Bengali-specific characters
did not come through and I am not sure how to address that.  In this
schema they need some form of Roman transliteration to convert them into.
I am not sure if there is a settled form of Bengali transliteration.

Also there are two "ya" characters in Bengali.  One is the soft ya which
is pronounced like the ya in Sanskrit and the other is the hard ya which
is pronounced like ja.  Using straight replacement of unicode codes gets
one the hard ya.  Obviously, to represent Sanskrit in Bengali script one
needs the soft ya.  When I replace the hard ya with the soft ya in the map
the consonant conjuncts using ya stop working.  They must be built around
the hard ya.  I am not sure how to change this.  Something probably has to
be added to the map, but I am not sure what or where.

I include the map and the tec and a sample of the output.

Best wishes,

Neal