[XeTeX] How to Convert Devanagari (sanskrit) text to Telugu Text

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 16:15:13 CEST 2011

2011/10/25 Tirumurti Vasudevan <drtvasudevan at gmail.com>:
> well, i am a newbie myself and dont understand your problem. could you send
> a sample file?
> you want a transliteration, right?
> copy paste the text portions in the converter, get it converted.
> copy paste the sanskrit tex file into new file, replace the text portion,
> redefine the script and font settings, save.
> done.

This can be done if you have just a few sentences that have already
been proof read and will never change. If you have a long text, you
want to typeset it in several scripts and probably will be corrected
after proof reading, this is a lengthy, tedious, error prone
operation. The solution is a TECkit map. Suppose you have a text in
Devanagari, which is in a separate file, and you want to typeset it in
Devanagari as well as in a few othe scripts. Using TECkit maps yo
simply write:

\input{devanagari_text}

{\fontspec[Mapping=devanagari2telugu]{Telugu font}
\input{devanageri_text}
}

{\fontspec{Mapping=devanagari2malayalam]{Malayalam font}
\input{devanagari_text}
}

If you find a mistake during proof reading, you correct it just in
devanagari_text and everything will be corrected automatically. All
Indian scripts are arranged on Unicode planes in such a way that the
characters occupy similar places, you just take the Devanagari code
points, remove the "upper part" denoting Devanagari and replace it
with the upper part denoting the target alphabet. You can even blindly
create the map for all codepoints of the plane no matter that some of
them do not represent valid Sanskrit character. Thus the map can be
prepared within a few seconds by a simple program written in your
favourite programming language.

> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 6:08 PM, A u <akupadhyayula at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Tirumurti Thanks for the link, but I have a tex file that I want to
>> convert to Telugu how can I do that
>

> --
> http://www.swaminathar.org/
> http://aanmikamforyouth.blogspot.com/