[XeTeX] How to manually create the xelatex.fmt?

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 12:42:17 CEST 2011

2011/10/20 Petr Tomasek <tomasek at etf.cuni.cz>:
> On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 05:16:12PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>>
>> Am 18.10.2011 um 16:39 schrieb Chris Travers:
>>
>> > Here's a breakdown of OS support for TexLive versions for anyone interested:
>> >
>> > Debian Lenny:  TexLive 2007
>> > Debian Squeeze:  TexLive 2009
>> > Debian Sid:  TexLive 2009
>> > Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:  TexLive 2009
>> > Red Hat Enterprise 6:  TexLive 2007
>> > That means that the most recent versions of CentOS and Scientific
>> > Linux also use 2007.
>>
>> Forget these RPM or DEB based re-packings! (The support from their distributors/repackagers can be a bit less than optimal.) Install TeX Live 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!
>
> This is the best way to hell. Native packages should be used and not some
> stupid external blob!

It would be a good way if the native packages were up-to-date and if
they allowed me to install not only the current version but even older
versions. As a matter of fact, I first verify that everything works
and after that I switch PATH. Twice I needed to test a document with
an old TL because I found that it does not work with the current
version. This is the greatest benefit of TL. I know what I am writing.
It happend several times that the native package of Octave included an
incompatible change. Two such upgrades were so nasty that each of them
forced me to spend two weeks of work just to make my code running.

> P.T.
>
> --
> Petr Tomasek <http://www.etf.cuni.cz/~tomasek>
> Jabber: butrus at jabbim.cz