[XeTeX] How to manually create the xelatex.fmt?

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Oct 19 16:21:38 CEST 2011

On Oct 19, 2011, at 9:09 AM, Chris Travers wrote:

> I think "stable" in terms of "you can safely use this to render your
> documents" and "stable" in terms of "no unnecessary changed so we know
> the software using this clearly and predictably works every time" are
> different senses of the word "stable."  I need the latter once the
> software is installed, you are talking the former.
>
> The point is that changing upgrading software underneath fairly
> critical systems just because there is a newer version out with bug
> fixes that don't affect you will *always* cause more harm than good.
>
> Best wishes,
> Chris Travers

Howdy,

Of course there is another sense of ``stable'': we're not going to change anything even if it doesn't work and has bugs because it's better to know your enemy than to find an ew enemy or friend.

I don't think packages in updated TeX Live installations are changed arbitrarily but rather in response to bug fixes that others, and possibly not all users, have observed. A TeX Distribution is a very complicated organism.

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)