[XeTeX] How to manually create the xelatex.fmt?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Oct 18 17:16:12 CEST 2011

Am 18.10.2011 um 16:39 schrieb Chris Travers:

> Here's a breakdown of OS support for TexLive versions for anyone interested:
>
> Debian Lenny:  TexLive 2007
> Debian Squeeze:  TexLive 2009
> Debian Sid:  TexLive 2009
> Ubuntu 10.04 LTS:  TexLive 2009
> Red Hat Enterprise 6:  TexLive 2007
> That means that the most recent versions of CentOS and Scientific
> Linux also use 2007.

Forget these RPM or DEB based re-packings! (The support from their distributors/repackagers can be a bit less than optimal.) Install TeX Live 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011! Then every user will have a choice. Because setting PATH and MANPATH makes any of these installations active and working. And you can use the TeX Live Manager, tlmgr, of each of these installations to support (setup, changes, updates) any of these. And when you start lacking some disk space you can use utilities like dupmerge to hard-link files from the stable distributions (all but that from this year) that many invariant files become unique on disk.

I think it should even be possible to have one external disk (NAS or such) that also carries the 32-bit and 64-bit binaries for all the different Linux clients. (Because the TeX binaries are statically linked and therefore do not depend on subtle variations in systems' shared libraries.)

--
Greetings

  Pete

No man was ever taken to hell by a woman unless he already had a ticket in his pocket, or at least had been fooling around with timetables.
				– Archie Goodwin