[XeTeX] IPA characters

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Wed Oct 12 17:42:23 CEST 2011

On Oct 12, 2011, at 9:28 AM, Hendrik Maryns wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I found http://www.tug.org/pipermail/xetex/2004-December/001574.html, but it isn’t answered.
>
> So here a new try: I want to use some IPA characters in my document.  I can paste them in directly, it aren’t that much.  But they show up blank.
>
> I tried tipa, but didn’t get that to work either, and XeTeX is not mentioned in the manual.
>
> minimal example:
>
> \documentclass{scrartcl}
>
> \usepackage{fontspec}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \emph{oma} eerder als een ‘korte a’ /ɑ/ uitgesprok
>
> alfabet bestaan daar reets tekens voor: ŋ, x, œ.
> verschillen: in Haarlem zou dat eerder ŋ, χ en œy
>
> \end{document}
>
> Solutions are welcomed with eternal gratitude.
>
> Cheers, H.
> --
> Hendrik Maryns

Howdy,

Use a font that has those characters defined; the default font used with fontspec is Latin Modern which doesn't have those defined.

%%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
\documentclass{scrartcl}

\usepackage{fontspec}
\setmainfont{Linux Libertine} %<-------- added
\begin{document}

\emph{oma} eerder als een ‘korte a’ /ɑ/ uitgesprok

alfabet bestaan daar reets tekens voor: ŋ, x, œ.
verschillen: in Haarlem zou dat eerder ŋ, χ en œy

\end{document}

Good Luck,

Herb Schulz
(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)