[XeTeX] fontspec.sty- xelatex: GUI framework cannot be initialized.

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Oct 3 10:51:46 CEST 2011

2011/10/3 Harish Kumar Holla <harishkumarholla at pec.edu>:
> Hi All,
> Recently I tried to give a hand to XeLaTeX. But I am not able to compile
> with xelatex.. This is my file:
> \documentclass[11pt]{article}
> \usepackage{xltxtra}
> \setmainfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Arial}
> \begin{document}
> \section{Unicode support}
>
> \subsection{English}
> All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
>

> \end{document}
> When I compile with xelatax it says

> ("C:\Program Files\MiKTeX 2.9\tex\latex\fontspec\fontspec.sty"  xelatex: GUI
> framework cannot be initialized.
>
> Xelatex failed to create a pdf file.....
>
> What may be wrong? Please help.
> I use winedt6 (15032011), in windows 7 Home premium (sp 1) and MikTeX 2.9.
> Any suggestions from experts will be appreciated
> --
This is really strange, your document works fine on my Linux with TeX
Live. It seems that something is wrong in your configuration. Some
error is triggered and xetex tries to open an editor so that you can
try to fix it. I would suggest to remove \usepackage and \setmainfont,
add \scrollmode and try what happens.

BTW: Arial is the ugliest font. I would suggest using TeX Gyre Hero or
similar high quality font.

> --with regards
>
> Dr. Harish Kumar
> Dept. of Physics