[XeTeX] Hyphenation in Transliterated Sanskrit

Philip TAYLOR (Webmaster, Ret'd) P.Taylor at Rhul.Ac.Uk
Sun Oct 2 18:44:45 CEST 2011

Cyril Niklaus wrote:

> Because that's how his name is spelled.  You have guttural, palatal, retroflex and dental n in Devanāgarī, respectively ङ ṅa
> ; ञ ña; ण ṇa and न na.

Yes, but all "n" variants are normally the same size, modulo the diacritics.

> The guttural na is transcribed using a superscript dot, but maybe you do not have it in a standard font, and your MUA used whatever font was available, therefore this extra height you're talking about.  I'm not sure if I've correctly understood you, to be honest.

Agreed : I have changed my font preferences for "Other languages"
(odd way of having to tell it which font to use for UTF-8 !),
and now all four n variants are the same height.

Philip Taylor