[XeTeX] Diacritics in color

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Wed Nov 30 11:10:11 CET 2011

Hi All,

I jump back in. I will cite anybody because what has been said is correct.

But,

	1) trying to compare a browser, XeTex engine and LuaTeX will not help
	    as they have different methods of composing their output.
	    That is how they compose and position their glyphs.

	2) Most important a composed Unicode glyph is supposed to be just one color!!

	3) Once you start using color a Unicode composed glyph you no longer are positioning
	     a single composed glyph, but two or more glyphs.

	3.a) color designed in TeX at.al is designed be applied to a box and not glyphs!!

The question remains how to position the composed glyphs and where and how the color attribute
is added to the output.

There are therefore two solutions:
	1) The Tex way:
		create a macro to compose the glyph and do the positioning and coloring.

	2) The developer way:
		change the engine so that it firsts generates the composed glyph and then goes back
		and then applies color to the different glyphs.

Such a change most likely will not happen for XeTeX, as the development has staled or if you wish is frozen.

LuaTex is still under development and can be adjusted.

regards
	Keith.