[XeTeX] XETEX cannot access OpenType features in PUA?

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Mon Nov 28 08:53:37 CET 2011

Hi Everybody,

I have been loosely following this thread.

>From my lay point of view. Using two different colors can
work unicode for composing the output in (Xe)Tex.

>From my simplistic view, it would be just a having a two color
"T" where the top cross should be red and the rest black.

(Xe)Tex uses boxes. one for each color. So, once you use a different
color those glyphs are set in a box of their own. This is a feature
of (Xe)TeX.

So, naturally, using different colors for composed characters/glyphs will have
to break anything unicode wants to do. You have to do it in (Xe)Tex.

As comparing firefox to XeTeX is like comparing apples to oranges, they
use completely different layout engines.

One should be aware of the fact that XeTeX uses unicode for composing
glyphs during input, yet the it is processes further before it is output in
a completely different form. That is the way XeTeX is designed.

So the only solution would be to use a command like \twocolor{c1, c2}{glyph1}{glyph2}
or the like.

regards
	Keith.