[XeTeX] Whitespace in input

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Fri Nov 18 12:53:21 CET 2011

Am Fri, 18 Nov 2011 08:31:28 +1100 schrieb Ross Moore:

>> Yes, that's the point. The goal of TeX is nice typographical
>> appearance. The goal of XML is easy data exchange. If I want to send
>> structured data, I send XML, not PDF.
>
> These days people want both.

One question which pops up regularly in the TeX-groups is "how can I
insert a code listing in my pdf so that it can be copied and pasted
reliably".

Currently this is not easy as the heuristics of the readers can
easily loose spaces, you can't encode tabs or a specific number of
spaces.

Real space characters in the pdf (instead of only visible space)
would help here a lot.

--
Ulrike Fischer