[XeTeX] Whitespace in input

Ross Moore ross.moore at mq.edu.au
Wed Nov 16 07:43:44 CET 2011

Hi Zdenek,

On 16/11/2011, at 11:19 AM, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

>> Just like any other Unicode character, if you want it then
>> you should be able to put it in there.
>
> You ARE able to do it. Choose a font with that glyph, set \catcode to
> 11 or 12 and that's it. What else do you wish to do?

The *default* behaviour should stay as this.
Any other behaviour needs to change the catcode
and make perhaps a definition.

>>> These are reasons why people might wish it in the source files, not in PDF.
>>
>> Yes. In the source, to have the occasional such character included
>> within the PDF, for whatever reason appropriate to the material
>> being typeset -- whether verbatim, or not.

>>> If you wish to take a [part of] PDF and include it in another PDF as
>>> is, you can take the PDF directly without the need of grabbing the
>>> text. If you are interested in the text that will be retypeset, you
>>> have to verify a lot of other things.
>>
>> How is any of this relevant to the current discussion?
>>
> It was you who came with the argument that you wish to have
> nonbreakable spaces when copying the text from PDF.

No. I said that if you put one in, then you should be
expecting to get one out.
This should be the default behaviour, as it is now.

I certainly suggested nothing like getting out non-breaking
spaces as a replacement for anything else.

> Zdeněk Wagner
> http://hroch486.icpf.cas.cz/wagner/
> http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz

Hope this helps,