[XeTeX] Whitespace in input

Keith J. Schultz keithjschultz at web.de
Tue Nov 15 11:27:47 CET 2011

Hi all,

I agree that XeTeX should support all printable characters.

A non.breaking space is to me a printable character, in so far that
it is important and must be used to distinguish between word space, et all.

To go back in history, one of my pet peeves in LaTeX was that I had to
enter the German characters öäüß as \"o, \"a, etc and later the
short cut forms "s, "u, etc. later with inputenc I finally, could just enter
öäüß.But I had trouble, (actually just needed to convert) my files to and from
apple to windows (so that editing was possible on windows).

Yet, I still had trouble with quoting, so I was force to use \quote, et al.
to have a simple method of quoting properly in english, german and french
in one document! I even modified them to suite some requirements I need and
I had one command.

Unicode has thankfully change all this. I can forget about using all those TeX
commands for the characters I need. I just type away.

The only problem is now is the keyboard equivalents and how the editor of choice
displays them.

Xe(La)TeX doe should not need to worry about how I input a non-breaking character
it should just respect it.

Some what off topic : What I would like to see is that when in math mode all I need to
enter is {}[] √∑ in formulas. Sure I could use editor shortcuts, but it would be nice.
Would be nice if Xe(La)TeX could gain this kind of intellegence.

regards
	Keith.